Thursday, June 22, 2006

usual unpredictable day >_<

Today is a normal shift work day. I went to work with a really heavy heart thinking of all the mistakes and mishaps that could happen. My premature trepidations was justified. I was late by 5 minutes. Salary deducted. Bugger. Well, i knew i'll be late. But... it could be avoided if i had taken a cab... and spend an overwhelming $7. At least the money that is deducted is not as much as what i will spend on a taxi ride. Still... I spent a full minute on self-pity. Reached the place perspiring and red on my face since i needed to run as the bus does't stop in front of Taka. Except for that slight hiccup, the day went off smoothly. (Touch Wood. Superstitious me.) I made mistakes and received the usual exaggerated frowns and exclamations of "how can you make such a mistake!" as i try to find places to run and hide. Sometimes, I wonder how my seniors' sanity remain intact with me around. (Well, one of them is leaving and she did stare hard at me when she announced that but...no proof the reason's me.) One of my senior said that working with me is always "entertaining". Hmm.

Sometimes i feel like quiting. The pressure of working and studying at the same time is staggering. Especially the last few weeks of the last term. I slept an average of 4 hours every night trying to finish all my assignments and exam revisions. I also have little personal time of my own to meet my friends, family, do revisions and pursue my hobbies. Yet, for every moment i think of quiting, some occasions hold me back-some shared laughter with my seniors or friends there; when i make a mistake and was not scolded; when i feel happy i accomplished a task. I really like working there sometimes. Especially when there are fellow part timers with me and i can joke, talk with them. The people there are essentially nice, supportive and friendly people. (and really patient ones to stand all my random mistakes and blurness) It will be difficult to find another job with such congenial working environment. Money is also another factor. It is empowering to earn your own money, to quit relying on your parents so much and adding excess burden to them. Although it is stressful now, i know i need this experience.

Back to my day. The reason i was late was in my lunchbox. When i open the lunchbox today, it was quite the centre of attention. My manager who ate with me on Monday already warned the rest. "Look like canned dog food."she had said to them. "Smells weird." The senior leaving soon said with a frown and she passed my lunchbox around. I make up my mind not to sit beside her again. Luckily they change the topic to why i don't eat carbo or they'll soon be stabbed by my plastic fork.

I had a throbbing headache when i left work. When i went up the bus, i realised to my horror that i don't have any more credit to my ez-link hard. What luck, what joy. I had to change my lucky $2 note with some disconcerted passengers as happy passengers behind me rushed up to claim the best seats. I have to resign sitting beside a person who kept talking to himself and give off B.O. I had to bury my nose in my bag pretending to sleep.

Well, couldn't say my day is perfect today. It certainly has its up and down. But that's life i guess. I couldn't ask for anything more. :)

No comments: