Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Nocturnal walks

Here i am, back safe and sound in my haven. Just about 45 minutes ago, i went for a night walk around my neighbourhood. It was actually quite a sudden decision to go for the walk, but i had eaten quite a large portion of chicken pie and was getting the ole guilty-i-ate too-much feeling. I unlocked the gate with much apprehension. It was like, one am in the morning and i know the neighbourhood will be really quiet and dangerous. If my parents know what i planned to do they would go ape shit. (Really couldn't blame them, if i got kids i would have done the same.) I haven't went for such walks for months and as i started walking i felt really uncomfortable, warily looking at every dark corners and constantly looking behind me. It sorta work in my favour that my surroundings are disconcerningly quiet. Because i know that anyone following me would be heard even if they tried sneaking as softly as they could behind me. (Ok, i know i sound a little paranoid but i got causes to.) It's weird that as you grow older you get more easily scared. I say, ignorance is really bliss. When i had my nocturnal walks months back i was fearless. But now i just feel like anything can happen.
As i went on, i began to lose the jittery feeling and start to enjoy the walk. I decided that if anyone would to sneak up behind me i would hear it, and since there are so many houses around me i would juz scream like mad for help, god knows i am good at that. The air is cool and sweet (All carbon dioxide i know.) and any sweat dries off pretty quickly. It sounds weird, but, it feels quite magical and peaceful as i walk along the rows of houses, looking at the sky and the twinkling stars, smelling the fragrance of the frangipani trees that grow in abundance, feeling the slight breeze. It clears the mind.
A year and a half ago before i started work, i was really frustrated and upset with certain things. Walking at night made me feel alot better because it makes me think rationally about my problems and how i need to face them or to forget about it. In the whole, it make me realized that any problems are not as impossible as it seems. The walk was quite relaxing, i look at all the huge houses and wonder what they are doing inside. I peered through some gates to see the decors within, thinking how i would choose to decorate my own home. I have to say here that i am not a voyeur! It's just a sort of curiosity wondering how others live their live, whether they are happy or not. Things like that.
Now i am typing all this feelings down, reliving the experience i had less than an hour ago and i know that i will go out to walk again tomorrow, but only before midnight. >_<

No comments: